State Authorization

The University of Kansas offers distance learning opportunities for students living across the United States. Pursuant with the U.S. Department of Education’s regulation (34 C.F.R. § 600.9) regarding distance learning in the United States, the University of Kansas must obtain authorization from each state in which KU distance learning programs are offered. The University must also comply with the distance learning regulations established by each state.

Sara Membership

Professional Licensure Disclosure

Student Complaint Process


  • Distance learning encompasses all learning activities that take place outside of Kansas. This includes 100% online courses and programs as well as activities such as internships, externships, co-ops, field experiences, student teaching, and clinical placements that are required as part of online and/or campus-based courses or programs.
  • Authorization (also known as licensure, approval, or registration) does not constitute a state’s endorsement of the University of Kansas, distance learning courses, or degree programs.

Important notes

  • All distance learning programs at the University of Kansas have been approved by the Kansas Board of Regents. The University of Kansas is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission.
  • Certain distance learning activities may have restrictions or limitations that vary by state. See Professional Licensure Disclosure section.
  • Transfer credit is determined by the receiving institution. Check with your home institution before enrolling in a KU course that you wish to transfer as credit to another institution.
  • KU faculty and administrative staff should refer to the Center for Online & Distance Learning as well as the office of Financial Aid & Scholarships for more information and requirements related to state authorization.