Professional Licensure Disclosure
Professional Licensing and Certification Requirements
KU's membership in SARA has no effect on professional licensing or certification requirements.
Students considering an academic program, whether online or campus-based, as a pathway to professional licensure or certification in any field should note:
- The University of Kansas cannot confirm whether any particular course or program meets requirements for professional licensure in states other than Kansas.
- Students must seek guidance from their home state licensing agency BEFORE enrolling in the academic program to ensure that a license can be obtained.
Below is a list of resource links that may be helpful for researching professional licensure or certification processes, requirements, and agency contact information. This list is not comprehensive, and students are reminded that it is their responsibility to accurately research licensing or certification requirements for their own state or profession:
- CareerOneStop - survey tool for locating professional licensing regulatory bodies, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor, Employment, and Training Administration
- Council on Licensure, Enforcement, and Regulation - listing by state of licensing and regulatory boards in North America
- U.S. Department of Education - contact info by state for department of education, higher education agency, special education, and adult education
- National Association of State Boards of Accountancy - listing by state
- National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Surveying (NCEES) - member licensing boards
- National Council of State Boards of Nursing (NCSBN) - state members
- NC-SARA Professional Licensure Directory - contact info for counseling, nursing, psychology, social work, and teacher education
- Nurse Licensure Compact (NLC) - participating states
- Social Work Examination Services - state licensing boards